The mission of the DNA Technologies Core at the UC Davis Genome Center is to provide DNA analytical services to campus and other researchers. We are currently focused on Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) and genotyping, using mainly Illumina (HiSeq 4000, NextSeq, and MiSeq), Oxford Nanopore PromethION, PacBio Sequel, and Fluidigm (C1-single cell analysis and Access Array) , and 10X Genomics Chromium platforms (linked-read genome sequencing). Our goal is to enable access to high throughput genome-wide analyses at economical recharge rates, as a functional extension of your laboratory.
The mission of the Expression Analysis Core at the UC Davis Genome Center is to provide services and technologies for gene expression analyses at the genomic level. We are exploiting the latest technologies for example for our high-throughput Tag-Seq Gene Expression Profiling services. We offer standard as well as specialized and custom RNA-seq library prep services for Illumina sequencing. The PacBio Iso-Seq protocol enables full-length transcript sequencing and thus the discovery of new gene isoforms. The 10X Genomics Chromium single-cell platform allows single-cell and single-nuclei gene expression profiling for up to 10,000 cells or nuclei.
Workshops in these technologies are an important part of facility operations. We also offer access to liquid handlers and nucleic acid analyzers to facilitate your experiments.
Read more about Getting Started in the Core.
Services and Equipment
|Illumina Sequencing HiSeq 4000, NextSeq & MiSeq
PacBio Sequencing PacBio RSII, Sequel
10X Genomics Chromium Single-Cell Gene Expression; Whole Genome Linked Reads
Fluidigm C1 Single Cell Genomics Auto-Prep
Fluidigm Access Array Target Amplification
Fluidigm EP1 Genotyping
|Next-Gen Sequencing (Illumina and PacBio)
Next-Gen Library Prep
DNA Quantification/Library QC
Single Cell Genomics
Equipment: Training & Access
Sample QC: Agilent Bioanalyzer, Nanodrop, Caliper LabChip GX
Sample Prep: Covaris E220, Diagenode Bioruptor & Bioruptor NGS, Sage Science BluePippin, Pippin HT
Automated Library Prep: Caliper Sciclone G3, IntegenX Apollo 324, Fluidigm Access Array
- April 6, 2023The DNA Tech Core recently implemented a new short-read sequencing technology. The AVITI sequencer from Element Biosciences provides medium-scale sequencing at higher quality and significantly lower costs compared to Illumina sequencers. While the sequencing chemistry is very different, the instrument is compatible with Illumina libraries and files. The AVITI sequencer enables the Core to deliver higher ...
- April 6, 2023Two new sequencers have been installed in the Genome Center, both deliver highest read accuracies: The PacBio REVIO long-read sequencer and the Element Biosciences AVITI short-read sequencer. The PacBio REVIO reduces sequencing cost by two-thirds and increases the HiFi long-read sequencing capacity 7.5 times compared to its two predecessors. Thus, the HiFi read technology now becomes much more affordable ...
- April 5, 2023Please join us for the UC Davis Revio Launch Party on Wednesday, April 12th. Expect great talks on genome assemblies and pan genomes – and of course an introduction to the new high-throughput sequencer. The UC Davis Genome Center just added the Revio sequencer to its service offerings and is now accepting project requests. Revio is PacBio’s new long-read ...
- December 8, 2020Dear DNA Tech Core clients, the last day before the holidays on which we can receive sequencing samples will be Friday, December 18th. The lab will be mostly performing COVID testing between the holidays. We will open again for sequencing on January 4th. We Wish Everybody Safe and Happy Holidays!
- June 10, 2020Dear DNA Tech Core Users,As UC Davis has entered Phase 2 of the COVID-19 response, the DNA Technologies Core has resumed operation on all services, except the shared equipment access. We are working with reduced staffing and the lab access is limited to staff members, though. We can work on projects for which the PIs have received Phase 1 ...
- March 19, 2020Dear DNA Technologies Core users, Following yesterday’s Shelter-In-Place orders, the DNA Technologies Core has to now ramp down all non-essential lab work. For safety and legal reasons, we have to reduce the staff present in the lab to the minimum, effectively suspending the lab operation of the DNA Tech Core until April 7th. Projects currently on the ...
- March 16, 2020Please check the top of the home page for the latest information! Dear DNA Tech Core customers, The Core will implement the following policies in an effort to comply with COVID-19 guidelines while ensuring the research needs of UC Davis continue to be met. • We will limit access to the DNA Tech Core laboratory to only Core ...
- February 19, 2020The DNA Technologies Core and the Bioinformatics Core invite you to PacBio Day at UC Davis, Wednesday, February 26th, Genome Center AuditoriumJoin us for a day of SMRT Science:- Talks on high-fidelity sequencing- The chance to win free sequencing (SMRT Grant drawing)& the social hour to talk scienceSymposium Agenda Overview:1:00 p.m. Welcome1:00 – 3:00p.m. Scientific Talks on Iso-Seq RNA seq, ...
- September 27, 2019The latest long-read sequencing technology is now available at UC Davis. Our new PacBio Sequel IIsequencer is up an running.> The Sequel II increases the yield 8-fold compared to our previous Sequel (version 1). With this increase, PacBio sequencing is becoming about 5 times more affordable on the new sequencer. A SMRT-cell can generate about 5 million reads (on average). > In addition to increasing ...
- July 26, 2019We are searching for laboratory assistants interested in high-throughput sequencing (NGS). Please see the details here: https://www.employment.ucdavis.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=406487